Factsheet on Mobile Applications and Cybersecurity
FaceApp, the AI-powered photo editing app, went viral for quite a while until various experts expressed concerns about cybersecurity. In light of these concerns, we’ve put together a quick factsheet on mobile applications and cybersecurity.
Here are a few tried and true ways to protect yourself:
- Download applications from trusted sources only and do your research before hitting install.
- Keep your mobile phone’s operating system up-to-date at all times with the latest upgrades and patches.
- Check out reviews online for each application you download to make sure there are no noted issues.
- Update applications you’re using on a regular basis and delete those you’re not using anymore.
- Look for warning signs, such as excessive permissions, pop-up ads, and in-app purchases.
As a last note for parents, make sure you’re checking what your children are downloading, or better yet, make sure they can’t download anything without your permission!